Memorial Day Dedication

 I’m finding this post extremely hard to write as I vaguely know about what’s happening right now in Palestine.  When my social media timelines started to be flooded with mixed information (and when I say mixed I mean correct and false information) over the ethnic cleansing that’s currently happening, my heart sank because I was reminded how privileged I truly am.  It’s not just the Palestinian news that has opened my eyes to this either.  

Literally every time I see images of children that survived the aftermath of an explosion, I am reminded how privileged I am.


I do not live in fear of air strikes/raids or simply going outside.  I am not the sole survivor of my family that has been torn apart by war.  I am not a refugee nor am I seeking asylum for my own safety.  All of these things - and so much more - are because of American soldiers who sacrificed their lives for our country’s freedom.  


It stays this way because of American soldiers who continue to serve and defend our country’s freedom.


I’m not going to lie, I have strong opinions about our country’s military - especially its need to reevaluate how they treat and respect their women soldiers and investigate accusations - but for my family members, friends, and even soldiers I don’t know personally who have served, I have a great deal of respect and gratitude for.


These soldiers miss birthdays, holidays, family gatherings, sporting events - everything that you can think of - for you… for me… for this country.  Your religious status doesn’t matter to them.  Your political stance doesn’t matter to them.  Your ethnicity and sexual orientation doesn’t matter to them.  You, as a person, matter to them.  This country matters to them.  Freedom matters to them.  


So, to those who served and didn’t come home - I thank you for your sacrifice.  To those who are active duty and miss out on moments with family - I thank you for your service.


Thank you for the privileges and freedoms you have given me and the rest of the citizens of this country every single day.

Pictured is my great-grandfather, Walter Hahn.  He was on active duty starting in February of 1943 and was a military policeman.  He was one of the soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy and fought in the Battle of the Bulge during WWII.  During his service, he received the American Service Medal, F.A.M.E. Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, World War II Victory Medal and Purple Heart.  When asked to describe the war in a post-service interview, he wrote one word: hell.


Comments

Popular Posts